In 1870, two brothers from Vermont, Louis and Lucius Hazen arrived in Whitefield and bought a controlling interest in the Dodge and Abbott Lumber Co.The brothers settled in the Cherry Valley area and built homes for themselves and cattle barns. They bought registered Jersey cows and began to clear land for grazing and raising crops.Their efforts would eventually result in the clearing of about 6,000 acres, which were planted to corn, wheat and hay.By 1880, a small village had developed.There were about 15 houses, a post office, express office, railroad station, a blacksmith shop and a school.Louis Hazen had become the sole owner of the farm and town and he built a dam on the Johns River to create a lake that supplied water for the farm and provided recreation for the community.The herd of Jerseys grew to about 500 head.He also raised racehorses and built a racetrack and a grange hall.These became a Fair Grounds and in 1887 the first Grafton and Coos County Grange Fair was held here.
We do not have any photographs of Hazen.If you do, we’d really appreciate copies to add to this page.
 Kim Nilsen, History of Whitefield, NH 1774-1974,1974, Town of Whitefield
Content copyright . WhiteMountainHistory.org. All rights reserved.