WhiteMountainHistory.org                
Telling the story of 200 years  of White Mountain History
                           East Branch Railroad

      THE   EAST   BRANCH   RAILROAD  
    THE   CONWAY   COMPANY
1916 - 1920

 

The inflated lumber prices during World War I stimulated production at the Conway sawmill and resulted in the opening of new areas of timber harvesting. In 1916 company logging crews moved onto uncut timberlands along the East Branch of the Saco River. As the rails were being yanked up along the company’s Swift River RR in 1916 they were being put down along the relatively easy grade along the East Branch. The overall grade on the thirteen mile roadbed was 2.5 %.

East Branch Railroad, Conway Lumber Co

                          East Branch Railroad,1916-1920
                            Click on map for larger image

The company used the same two Climax locomotives that had been used on the Rocky Branch Railroad. The Climax engines hauled the loaded log cars down to a siding on the Maine Central RR at a location known as Glen Pit, about 1 ¼  miles southeasterly of Glen Station. As with the Rocky Branch operation, the Maine Central RR moved the loaded log cars to the Intervale exchange and the Boston and Maine RR to the Conway mill, about twenty-five cars to a trainload.

 

The East Branch was the last of the Conway Company logging operations, closing down about 1920. The saws in the big Conway sawmill stopped turning in the spring of 1920, and the buildings burned a few years later.

Intervale
                                Intervale Station and Junction
                               Click on map for larger image 

         Bill Gove's Composite  Logging Railroad Map                     
              

 

Website Builder