WhiteMountainHistory.org                
Telling the story of 200 years  of White Mountain History
                      Bebee River Railroad

            The  Beebe  River  Railroad, Campton

 

The Beebe River drainage once contained one of the finest old-growth spruce stands in the southern portion of the White Mountains, well over one hundred million board feet. In 1917 this huge tract of 22,000 acres was purchased by Parker Young Co. and a large double band sawmill was built in Campton in the same year by the Woodstock Lumber Company, a subsidiary.


               Campton Village. Click on map for larger image

Construction of the Beebe River Railroad began in the fall of 1917 and was completed to the far end of the long valley in 1921. About 26 miles of rail were laid, including the sidings. Twelve logging camps were located on the 22-mile main line of the railroad, although all of the camps did not operate at the same time. Each camp held up to 70 men. The logs were hauled on four-wheel railroad trucks, sometimes called disconnects. A log truck consisted of a single log bunk mounted over a two-axle set of wheels, and one of these would ride under each end of a load of logs.


Beebe River Railroad 1917-1942. Click on map for larger image

The primary motive power on the Beebe River was the 50-ton Shay geared locomotive. Five different Shays plus a Climax geared locomotive were run on the Beebe River Railroad during the life of the operation by the Woodstock Lumber Co. It took seven years to harvest about all of the fine spruce timber, and the entire operation, land and mill, was sold to the Draper Corporation in 1924.

 

Draper Corporation made a brief, unsuccessful attempt to operate a small section of the logging railroad , and the rails were pulled up in 1942.

              Click here for photos of the railroad and mill

        Bill Gove's Composite  Logging Railroad Map                     
               

          

Website Builder